“Have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them. Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you.” (Ex 25:8)
With precise detail, God told the Jews to build Him first a tabernacle in the desert and then the Temple in Jerusalem both of which were to be modeled exactly after the Heavenly Temple.
God showed King David where He wanted His Temple located so David bought the threshing floor of Ornan (1Chron 21:14-22:1) on Mount Moriah, then outside of the city of Jerusalem. He purchased and prepared materials for the Temple but it was given to his son, Solomon, the honor of actually building it. And God did dwell there (1Kings 8:11) until the Jews proved unfaithful to Him and then His glory departed. (Ez 10:18) Solomon’s Temple was destroyed in 586 BC by the Babylonians and God’s glory never returned to the rebuilt Second Temple, also known as Herod’s Temple. As predicted by Jesus (Mark 13:2), it was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD. In another of God’s “coincidences”, both Temples were destroyed on the Ninth of Av.
Sidebar: The Ninth of Av is the date of MANY Jewish disasters. Try Googling it and see what you learn. There are SO many severe catastrophes on this date, in fact, that for the three weeks preceding the date, Jews mourn and pray. This particular blog was actually written on our July 9, which is 2020’s first day of the Jewish “Three Weeks” which end in the 25 hour fast of the Ninth of Av (sundown July 29 until sundown, July 30, 2020). The more we study God’s Word, the more apparent it becomes that certain days/dates matter to God.
Although there has been no Jewish Temple since 70 AD, prophecy requires that there be one in the end times (Is 2:2-3; Rev 11:1-2). The Tribulation Temple is where the antichrist stops the daily sacrifice, (Dan 11:31) sets up the “abomination of desolation,” (Mt 24:15) profanes the Temple and declares himself god. (2 Thes 2:3-4) The False Prophets demands that all the inhabitants of the world worship an image of the antichrist in the Holy of Holies. (Rev 13:12)
The Temple must be rebuilt. According to millennia-old commentaries by the most respected rabbis, the Jews were never relieved of their duty to build a House for the Lord. It must be built again on its original site, the Temple Mount. Unfortunately, after re-capturing it in 1967, Israel gave Jordon control of the Temple Mount. That’s also where the Islamic Dome of the Rock sits. God will cause something to happen to allow the building on the Temple Mount. Preparations are, in fact, under way:
- In 1987 the Temple Movement began preparations for the re-building of Third Temple
- In 2004 the Sanhedrin was re-constituted and a high priest appointed
- All Jewish men from the priestly name of Kohanim (Cohen) were asked to register; DNA confirms their lineage
- Training of 500 men for the priestly duties including sacrifices is ongoing
- Scientists re-constituted the special blue dye required for priestly garments and the crimson dye needed for the curtain in the Holy of Holies
- The furnishings, garments, objects, musical instruments and vessels for the Temple are completed
- 30 bottles of wine from ritually grown and processed grapes were unexpectedly delivered to the Sanhedrin in 2017
- The cornerstone for the new Temple was shown to world in 2009
- A flask of the anointing oil from the Second Temple was found in a Qumran cave in 1989
- A breeding farm for red heifers (ashes are needed to purify the Temple, Num 19) was established in 2015
- 119 heritage sheep, called Jacob’s sheep (Gen 30), which trace their Mideast lineage back 5000 years were delivered to Israel in 2016
- The Biblical Temple Forest has been planted to take care of the Temple’s agricultural needs (herbs and grain offerings)
- Architectural blueprints have been developed
The above are facts, here are some rumors: the stones for much of the Temple are pre-cut, numbered and stored in the MANY tunnels and caverns under Jerusalem. The Ark of the Covenant is either under guard in Ethiopia (think Solomon and Queen of Sheba; Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark) or it is deliberately hidden in a sealed tunnel under the Temple Mount. Several people claim to have glimpsed it after the Six Day War in 1967.
Exactly when the Third Temple will be built is anyone’s guess. But it will be built. And the coming antichrist will desecrate it. Next time we start looking at this antichrist.
Please, neither offhandedly accept nor reject what is said in this blog. Check it out. Look it up for yourself in the Bible. If you are a child of God, you are in good hands and there is the most wonderful eternity waiting for you. If you are not a Christ follower, now is a really good time to honestly explore the truth claims of the Bible.